Reading comprehension is the ability to understand the meanings communicated by texts. To assist in developing your child’s reading comprehension, ask questions while reading to your child. Our school provided us with a bookmarker that suggested asking the following questions:
• Who are the characters in the story? What do they do?
• What is the setting? Where does the story take place?
• What is the problem in the story?
• How is the problem solved?
• Show me one of the pictures. What is happening?
• How does the story begin? What happens in the middle? What happens at the end?
• Make predictions. What do you think is going to happen next? Why do you think that?
• Did you like this book? Why or why not?