Using both Dolch and Fry’s sight word lists, we analyzed the words included in this flash card set. The packaging states there are 54 flash cards of which one contains a note to parents and fun activities so our analysis incorporated 53 cards and revealed the following:
- Includes 90 Dolch sight words, representing 41% of his list,
- Includes 1 Dolch noun (time),
- Includes 4 Fry instant words (each, more, other & than), which are among the top 100 words (Note A),
- 10 flash cards contain sight word phrases – all these words are included on Dolch’s list, and
- 1 sight word included 2x (these).
Note A: Many of the 90 Dolch words are also on Fry’s instant word list.
The following sight words are included in this flash card set. They are commonly referred to as high frequency words and can be found on either Dolch or Fry’s sight word list.
Sight Word Phrases
The following sight word phrases were included on 5 flash cards – one on each side.
|can play||can run||he is||I am||it is|
|it was||they are||we are||will go||would like|
Sight words flash cards assist a child when developing a sight word vocabulary. Overall, this is a good product; it is very affordable and durable. This product also provides a note to parents containing some insight on sight words and parental teaching tips, e.g., begin by using a small amount of flash cards, as well as activities, e.g., nonsense sentences, to keep it fun.