Both of my children were ecstatic when they were selected to be a school safety patrol. Our elementary school takes this role seriously; each patrol must recite the patrol pledge and thoroughly read the safety rules.
School Safety Patrol Pledge
I promise to do my best to:
- Report on time,
- Perform my duties faithfully,
- Make every effort to prevent accidents,
- Set a good example,
- Obey my teachers and officers of the patrol,
- Report unsafe student practices, and
- Earn the respect of fellow students.
School Safety Patrol Rules
An elementary school safety should adhere to the following:
- Be alert.
- Report for duty on time.
- Set a good example.
- Practice safe walking rules, e.g. cross in the crosswalks.
- Never stop cars (that’s the function of the crossing guard).
- Perform your patrol duties truthfully.
- Be neat and clean while on duty.
- Be dependable and trustworthy.
- Be courteous and polite at all times.
- Treat others as you would like to be treated.
- Wear your belt and badge proudly.
- Do not be “bossy” when reminding follow students of safe walking rules.
- Give correct crossing signals to fellow students.
- Do not stand or walk on the bus while it is moving.
School Safety Patrol Three Main Functions
Source: Rachel Carson Elementary School, Gaithersburg, MD